Data Science: It’s Not just Math and Robots
With a background in Linguistics and Psychology, I get questions on why I chose Data Science for my career change!
Long ago, I thought Data Science was for economists who predicted the stock market or computer scientists who built Artificially Intelligent Robots. However, Data Science is simply a tool for any field that can find patterns to make predictions; it can be applied to anything!
Here are some of my favorite Data Science applications that helped me understand the depth and breadth of Data Science:
- True Crime: One man predicted serial killers using Data Science math skills and pattern recognition..
- Sports: this video by Mark Rober predicts baseball signs and the player’s moves based on those signs. You can also use Data Science to make the Fantasy Football teams.
- Future Possibilities: FlashForward, by Rose Evelath, discusses the possibilities of future scenarios and how they might look. Data Scientists are often consulted to aid in the predictions like in this episode about making digital replicas of ourselves to do things like wait on hold, grocery shop, etc.
- Human Rights: This website explores and researches projects that use Data Science to prevent and end human rights violations.
- Statistics in the News: If you have ever wondered about the numbers you hear on the news, More of Less Behind the Statistics explains the conclusions of Data Scientists and Statisticians.
- Language Learning: Duolingo uses Data Scientists on their team, and at one point had made a language learning chat app for you to practice your conversation skills. Duolingo’s Chat App Prototype. This is a project I hope to explore with my capstone!
With my experience in international education and travel, I am planning to pursue projects that work toward making knowledge and communication more accessible! I graduate my program in July and am looking forward to a capstone which will allow me to pursue those goals!